Sunday, February 3, 2013

Entry #1: On Blogs and Blogging

Hello again reader! :-) This is now my 2nd post on this blog of mine, the 1st being about me introducing myself. Today, with this post, I'm gonna blog about blogs and blogging itself. :-P


My Opinion of Blogs
To start off, here is a Wikipedia article about blogs. I would view blogging, like many other activities on the Internet, as a method of disseminating information, whether that info be important (or not), practical (or not), etc. From highly casual journal-like blogs to purely informative blogs about general topics, they all "tell" something to the reader. This is a good thing in my opinion.

Now, not all blogs would be for everyone, but the fact that they're out there for anyone (with access to them) to read, gives people the option to read about things that are very useful, entertaining, or both. People can catch up with their friends and family through blogs. They can learn new, possibly life-changing things. They can find something to look forward to reading every so and then.

One thing though... Knowing the nature information itself, blogs, just like other information sharing methods, could be potentially harmful. For instance, if a blog post contained false or misleading information, it could potentially mislead a lot of people, possibly in a way that would result in them being brought into harm's way. Sometimes, the writer is just mistaken, but it could also be intentional, and there are some unsavory people that exist on the Web. One kind is called the Internet troll, or just plain troll, which just causes all sort of havoc on different websites, probably just for his/her own amusement. To the left is an image which I believe represents these trolls.

So, it is worth mentioning that when taking in information, and not only from blogs, do so as carefully as you can afford to, or as some people say, "Take it with a grain of salt." When you're the one disseminating information, and not only through blogging, to try to get any presented facts straight and to present them appropriately so as to not be misleading, also to be ethical about posting information and to remember that if you think posting false information intentionally might be funny, that it could potentially cause people real-world harm.


Discussion on Some Specific Blogs
Now, I'm gonna talk about different blogs (or blog posts more specifically) you can find on the Internet. (Well, where else could you find them but there? :-P)

"Ten Corporate Blogs Worth Reading" on Blogtrepreneur.com seems to be quite useful, leading unknowing readers to different corporate blogs that are, as the title says, "worth reading." The style of the blog post itself has a casual, but still professional, feel to it. I guess at least one thing that makes it feel casual is how the writer includes some of his own (or others) opinions. It appeared neatly put together in a list for mat where each recommendation was then followed by a comment and/or description. I was curious what blogs would be recommended on the list, and that kept my interest.

(I'm gonna be honest here. I accidentally went on and reviewed "Ten Corporate Blogs Worth Reading" which I don't think my English professor intended for us to do, and so I thought if it would qualify as a blog post still. Then I noticed how the likes of Lifehacker.com and Gizmodo.com were listed on "The 2012 Bloggies," then thought that if two websites that have content that I regard as articles more than blogs are listed there, then maybe the article/blog talked about in the paragraph above would count as a blog too.)

"Unbrave Eats: Chicken and Waffles" found on the blog Unbrave Girl is very casual, I would say. It was both interesting and entertaining. It had some comedic tones to the way it was written and a seemingly "free" format. I, myself, was wondering what kind of dishes exactly are served at chicken and waffle places.

"Walmart Is Running Out of Guns So Better Go There and Stockpile" on Gizomodo.com is an article/blog post that I didn't like. I was actually wondering what kind of blog post I would list down as one I didn't like, then I remembered a few articles/blog posts I read in the past that I was honestly annoyed by, written by a specific editor. One of them is the one mentioned at the top of this paragraph. The format is nice and everything, but it's the offensive opinions and feel found in that post that riles me up. I really generally don't get into disliking articles or blog posts on the Internet, but there are just some that really annoy me like that one.


Well, that wraps up this blog post of mine. Thanks for reading, and I hope you stick around to read more of my future blog posts! Feel free to post comments and/or suggestions. :-)

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your second blog about blogs you enjoy visiting. I was flipping through blogs trying to get a feel for who's pages I'm going to be enjoying and the troll face jumped out at me. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment is encouraging. :-) Honestly, I was really thinking of how I could incorporate a photo into this blog post of mine, so as to not make it just one big, boring mess of text, and I eventually got to putting that one. AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE WORKED! LOL!

      Also another thing, if I remember correctly, I got the idea of putting pics side-by-side with text, from your first blog. So thanks for that! :-D

      Delete
  2. Helpful incorporation of context on blogs here as well as a thoughtful review of a few different spaces. Further development on the elements of the blogs that just "really annoy" you would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete